Founded in 2012 in Houston, Texas, Sunnova has grown to 738 employees. Many homeowners across the country use a Sunnova Loan to finance their residential solar panel systems and battery storage items. A Sunnova Loan includes such services as maintenance, monitoring, repairs, replacements, upgrades, and on-site power optimization.
Sunnova currently offers solar and battery storage services in:
- Connecticut (Solar Only)
- Florida (Solar Only)
- Illinois (Solar Only)
- New Jersey
- New Mexico (Solar Only)
- New York
- Pennsylvania (Solar Only)
- Puerto Rico
- Rhode Island
Sunnova Loan – Unique Among Solar Loans
The Sunnova Loan is unique among the solar loans available on the market. It is the only loan that offers a warranty on all system components, a roof warranty, and a production guarantee in the loan itself. All of the other solar loans place the warranties on the installer and the manufacturer. Customers that choose the Sunnova Loan receive three layers of warranties when most solar customers only receive two layers of warranties. The three layers come from:
- Manufacturers of the system components
- Solar Installation Company
Historically, solar finance companies like Sunnova are more stable and will stay in business longer than a solar installation and solar sales company. A Sunnova Loan is also backed by Bank of America, which is the 8th largest bank in the world based on assets owned. So, customers can trust that Sunnova will be solvent and in business for the next 25 years. The Sunnova Loan is considered by many to be a superior product because is the only solar loan that offers system warranties, roof warranties, repair promises, and production guarantees in their financial agreement.
Sunnova Loan – Warranties and Guarantees
A Sunnova Loan includes the 25-Year Sunnova Protect System Warranty, 10-Year Roof Warranty, and Production Guarantee.
Sunnova Protect Warranty
- 25-Year length
- Top-of-the-line warranty
- Only warranty included in the financial agreement on the market
- The Sunnova Loan provides customers with three layers of warranties
- System components guaranteed to be free from defects in workmanship and defects in materials and components
- Includes a Repair Promise with no out-of-pocket costs or expenses to the customer
Sunnova Roof Warranty
- 10-Year length
- Covers the roof area where the solar installers penetrated the roof
- Guarantees that no roof leaks will occur
- The Sunnova Loan Roof Warranty begins on the date of system installation
- Guarantees that the system will produce the promised amount of energy, or Sunnova will credit the difference.
- The Sunnova Loan document includes a table that guarantees production for each year for 25 years.
- Customers can receive a credit or refund for underperformance starting three years after installation and every year thereafter.
- If the cumulative annual kWh generated by the system is less than than the guaranteed annual kWh, Sunnova will credit the customer’s account or provide a refund.
- Guarantee is based on a shading percentage of 3%; if shading increases, the guaranteed kWh per year will be reduced proportionately.
- The Guaranteed Annual kWh will be lower than the forecasted system output due to the variability in local weather conditions and the
impact those conditions have on actual system production.
- If the cumulative annual kWh generated by the system is more than the guaranteed annual kWh, this surplus will be carried over and will be used to offset any deficits that may occur in the future.
Sunnova Loan – Transferable Agreement
- All the warranties and guarantees can pass to anyone that purchases or otherwise acquires the solar panel system.
- The new owner must qualify for the Sunnova Loan first.
- The 25-Year Sunnova Protect warranty, 10-Year Roof Warranty, and Performance Guarantee stay in place regardless of the owner or if the loan has been paid off.
24/7 System Monitoring
- Sunnova tracks your solar system generation and battery storage performance.
- They compare your generation to what the system should be producing.
- If Sunnova detects that your system isn’t producing the amount of energy they guarantee in your agreement, or the battery storage isn’t working properly, Sunnova’s service team will take care of it.
Sunnova Loan – MySunnova Portal
- A Sunnova Loan includes an online system management tool called MySunnova
- 24/7 access to hourly production data
- Solar system production estimates
- Battery stored energy
- Payment options such as making one-time payments or managing AutoPay
- Frequently Asked Questions
Sunnova Contact Information
20 Greenway Plaza
Houston, TX 77046
For more information on Solar Loans, see our main page on the topic.