There are several ways to create an energy efficient home and save money. SRP offers several home energy efficiency upgrade rebates to their customers. One of the most effective ways to upgrade efficiency is to get insulation rolled or blown into your attic. Fortunately, the SRP Insulation Rebate can save you money on this project.
The SRP Rebate Program includes insulation discounts for their residential electric customers. With SRP, home performance upgrades are rewarded if you use on their approved contractors. Their program includes the purchase of efficient air conditioners, duct leakage repair, duct sealing rebates, discounts for proper insulation applications, and other items.
To assess your home, you can schedule an SRP Energy Audit or use one of the Phoenix Solar Panel Systems energy auditors. If you hire us, we will assess your home performance with the Energy Star Program. After our inspection, we create a detailed report of your home’s energy efficiency and potential upgrades. Further, we complete all the necessary rebate paperwork for you and assist you throughout the process of upgrading your home.
Since most of the attics in the Phoenix, AZ area are narrow and short, blown insulation is the most popular option here. Typically fiberglass or cellulose insulation is blown into the attic.
Cellulose insulation has the following characteristics when compared to fiberglass:
- Less expensive
- More efficient (due to its higher density)
- More biodegradable (better for the environment)
- No pest repellant
- More flammable (because it’s made of recycled material like paper and wood)
- Can harbor mold growth
- Excessively dusty
Fiberglass insulation has the following characteristics when compared to cellulose:
- More protection against mold and mildew
- Moisture-resistant (because it’s mostly made of glass)
- Reduces noise in the home
- Ineffective when wet (by an attic leak)
- Self-installation can be dangerous (because inhaling glass is bad for you)
How To Qualify For The SRP Insulation Rebate
To qualify for the insulation rebate, the following requirements must be met:
- The insulation improvement must be made in conjunction with attic air sealing (unless documentation proves air sealing is unnecessary)
- No new home builds
- Existing insulation must have an R-value of less than R-19 (Exception if greater than R-19 exists but evidence is provided that it is underperforming)
- Be a current SRP customer
- Live in a single-family detached home, single-family attached home or apartment/condo. Mobile homes are not eligible.
- Work must be performed by one of SRP’s approved contractors
SRP Insulation Rebate Financials
SRP offers up to 75% of the installation cost (up to $600) of the insulation and air sealing. The rebate will be applied as an instant discount on the contractor’s invoice.
For most homes in the Phoenix, AZ area, the job will cost more than $800. The cost of blown insulation is typically $1.10 to $1.40 per square foot of attic space which equates to $1,660 to $2,820 for most homes in SRP territory.
Air sealing an attic typically costs between $1,000 to $4,500 depending on the size and amount of leakage in the attic.
So to qualify for SRP’s rebate you will likely spend between $2,660 to $7,320 for the project.