SRP’s Home Attic Insulation Rebate
There are several ways to reduce the energy use in your home. One of the most effective ways is to get more insulation rolled or blown into your attic. Since most of the attics in the Phoenix, AZ area are narrow and short, blown insulation is the most popular option here. Typically fiberglass or cellulose insulation is blown into the attic.
Cellulose is less expensive, more efficient (due to its higher density), and more biodegradable, which means its more friendly to the environment. But cellulose does not have pest repellant, is more flammable (because it’s made of recycled material like paper and wood), can harbor mold growth, and is excessively dusty.
Fiberglass offers more protection against mold and mildew, is non-flammable and moisture-resistant (because it’s mostly made of glass), and also reduces noise in the home. But fiberglass is ineffective when wet (by an attic leak) and self-installation can be dangerous (because inhaling glass is bad for you).
SRP’s Attic Insulation Rebate
Keep in mind that to qualify for SRP’s insulation rebate, the following requirements must be met:
- The insulation improvement must be made on conjunction with attic air sealing (unless documentation proves air sealing is unecessary)
- No new home builds
- Existing insulation must have an R-value of less than R-19 (Exception if greater than R-19 exists but evidence is provided that it is underperforming)
- Be a current SRP customer
- Live in a single-family detached home, single-family attached home or apartment/condo. Mobile homes are not eligible.
- Work must be performed by one of SRP’s approved contractors
SRP offers up to 75% of the installation cost (up to $600) of the insulation and air sealing. The rebate will be applied as an instant discount on the contractor’s invoice. Unfortunately, for most homes in the Phoenix, AZ area, the job will cost more than $800. The cost of blown insulation is typically $1.10 to $1.40 per square foot of attic space which equates to $1,660 to $2,820 for most homes in SRP territory. Air sealing an attic typically costs between $1,000 to $4,500 depending on the size and amount of leakage in the attic. So to qualify for SRP’s rebate you will likely spend between $2,660 to $7,320 for the project. But if you are going to do it, it’s nice that SRP will save you $600 of the cost of the project.
Phoenix Solar Panel Systems partners with several of SRP’s approved contractors and we can add insulation and air sealing to your solar system purchase.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)